We have just bought a new server with Supermicro X9SCL-F motherboard for our backup server. This server comes with 2 NICs:
- Intel 82579LM Gigabit
- Intel 82574L Gigabit
Unfortunately, once the hypervisor installation completed, only one network interface is detected by VMware ESXi 5.0 which is Intel 82574L port. Since our architecture required to have 2 different cards so we can use it as fault tolerance to bring high availability features.
What we need to do is basically like this:
- Download the driver here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27246203/E1001E.tgz
- Use ESXi-Customizer to merge the driver and generate a new VMware installation ISO
- Burn the custom ISO into disk or USB drive
- Reinstall the server
1. Download it from here: http://esxi-customizer.googlecode.com/files/ESXi-Customizer-v2.7.1.exe
2. Double click on it and extract the files. Open the folder (ESXi-Customizer-v2.7.1) and double click at ESXi-Customizer.cmd
3. You will see following windows. Kindly enter required details as screenshot below:
Note: My installation ISO is VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0.update01-623860.x86_64
4. Click Run. The process will start and you will be see following prompt:
Just accept it by clicking “Yes”.
5. Once finished, you will find your new ISO as ESXi-5.x-Custom.iso. You will use this new ISO for VMware ESXi hypervisor installation.
After the installation finish, you can verify this using vSphere > host > Configuration > Network Adapters and you should see similar screenshot as below: