After upgrading to FreeBSD 9, whenever I try to use ports to install something, I will get following error:
$ cd /usr/ports $ make search name=nano The search target requires INDEX-9. Please run make index or make fetchindex.
Then, I whenever I run make index command, it will prompt following error:
$ cd /usr/ports $ make index Generating INDEX-9 - please wait.. Shared object "libutil.so.8" not found, required by "perl ""Makefile". line 29: warning "/usr/local/bin/perl -V::usethreads" returned non-zero status
During FreeBSD upgrade from version 8.2 to the new release 9.0, it seems like FreeBSD has deleted the old library after the second time of freebsd-update install command execution. This is usually happen when you are doing major release version upgrade.
We need to create symlink to the new libutil.so for FreeBSD 9 under /lib directory:
$ cd /lib $ ln -s libutil.so.9 libutil.so.8
Then we need to run again to “make index” command. Make index will create the index (which then use for us to lookup ports collection) by looking at your current ports tree:
$ cd /usr/ports $ make index Generating INDEX-9 - please wait.. Done.
Now you should able to use ports as usual. Cheers!
- FreeBSD: Upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0
- Fixing Auto Start and Auto Shutdown Issue in VMware ESXi 5.0
- Linux: Remove Files/Folder More Than Certain Time
- Windows: The ‘Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0′ provider error
- Linux: Log Rotation Customization
- The Best Way to do Server Documentation
- Resync MySQL Master/Slave Replication
- Linux: /tmp: Read-only file system Error
- Linux: VMware Tools Installation Error
- FreeBSD: Setup IP and Port Redirection using NAT
- Raw Video: Apple 1 computer sells for more than $650k - Vancouver Sun 25 May 2013
- Samsung Galaxy S4 road show begins in Karachi - Pakistan Daily Times 25 May 2013
- International Day For Biological Diversity Highlighted By Greenpeace - Malaysia Sun 25 May 2013
- Did Fairphone just change my life? - PhoneDog 25 May 2013
- Planets On Memorial Day: See Jupiter, Mercury, Venus In Night Sky - Huffington Post 25 May 2013