Nowadays, web hosting has introduced many kind of internet traffic, which we can classified into 3 categories:
- Clean/good traffic
- Bot/crawler traffic
- Threat/bad traffic
Threat or bad traffic can harm the website and also can bring serious effect to the server, if you not have security in mind. Following example explained how bad traffic can bring consequences to your website:
- You receive so many spam comments in your blog post with different IPs
- Your website is being targeted by DOS or DDOS attack
- Your website being tagged as ‘The site may harm your computer’ by Google Safe Browsing
- You being accused by the web browser to be hosting malware
What we really want is to accept only clean traffic to our website. The most easiest way to achieve this objective is to use Cloudflare service. Cloudflare will convert your ‘naked’ and ‘exposed’ website into a protected website. The concept is they will route every single web traffic into their cloud network to filter out bad and good traffic, then just forward the good traffic to your website. This service is FREE for life!
What you need to do is:
- Go to cloudflare.com and register
- Follow the installation wizard online
- Change your domain name server to their name server at the domain registrar
- Wait for the propagation complete
- Done. You are protected!
From the screenshot above, you can see that I have report on how many good, bot and bad traffic to my website, how many bandwidth has been saved, how many processed request can be saved (by eliminating bad request) and so on.
I am not doing this for their behalf as promotion or what. It is worth to try. I just want to share with you on how to achieve best result with simplest and most effective way!